Spoken English Practice Tips
Use these spoken English practice tips to get the most out of your time of practicing speaking English. No YouTube videos, no spoken English books, audios or apps will be of much help if you are not having enough English speaking practice. To get better at speaking English, start speaking English first and speak as much as you can. Here are some tips that you would want to follow to improve your spoken English.
10 Tips for Better Spoken English Practice
- In the beginning speak about things that you like most. For example sports, shopping etc.
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Making mistakes is part of the learning process. Remember if you are not making mistakes, you are not trying new things.
- You simple words in simple sentences to express your ideas.
- Do not bother much about English grammar in the beginning.
- Try expressing different concepts and ideas using the words that you already know.
- Try to make it interactive. Use questions and answers model.
- Use a word in different ways e.g. the word ‘come’ has multiple meanings, try to use the different meanings of the word. I came here by bus. The paint on the wall is coming off. After a lot of thinking I came to the conclusion.. How the project is coming along? etc. I think you have got the point.
- Listen actively. Learn from your English speaking partners too.
- Ask your partner to correct you when you make a mistake.
- Try to speak with someone who is at upper level of English than you.
Ways to Have Spoken English Practice
You want to speak English but there is no one to speak with. Don’t get upset. There is a way where there is a will. Let’s find out some ways to get some spoken English practice.
Online Language Partners
Find some language partners to practice speaking English online. You can use Skype, Whatsapp etc. to have have speaking practice. There are many groups for English practice. You can find them using google.
Practice With Your Friends
Speak in English with your friends. Don’t be afraid to speak English. Use one or two English sentences while speaking with your friends for the starter.
Speak to Yourself
Purposefully slip into revery and start speaking to yourself in English. Speak to yourself about your dreams, your study plan, or whatever you like. No one can hear you!
Talk to Customer Care Executives in English
If you are making a call to a customer care executive speak in English. Don’t have a reason to call? Cook a reason and make the call.
Speak in English at Shopping Malls
You can speak in English with the sales guys at shopping. Just try. No one will kill you from making mistakes.
Speak With Tourists
Living in a place that attracts foreign tourists? Go talk to them. I used to do that when I lived in Kolkata. I would go to Esplanade on Sundays and talk to tourists. They would be happy to talk to you.
Unsolicited Sales Calls
Getting a lot of sales and promotional calls from unknown numbers? Someone trying to sell insurance, someone a credit card? Don’t get irritated from now on. Start asking questions about the product in English. Get some English speaking practice with them. Believe me some of them are quite good at speaking English!
Consistency and tenacity is the key to get better at speaking English. It may take some time but it will come to you sooner or later. Just keep on having lots of spoken English practice.